Monday, June 18, 2012

Why Do We Love?


Nella memorized her first Bible verse last week!  It is most definitely the sweetest collection of words to ever come out of her mouth… even in comparison to "I love you, Mommy".  There is something about her sweet, squeaky voice saying she loves the Lord that brings me (and, especially, our Father) great joy!  She is also very excited to share what she has learned with her daddy, who has been on a mission trip in South Africa and Mozambique for almost two weeks.  It will be a great surprise for him when he returns.
I saw the greatest commercial the other day.  It is not often that we have a TV on and even more rare that it keeps my attention with littles ones,  but I feel that God intentionally placed that commercial in front of me.  It was a scene of a little boy playing dodge ball in a gym while his mom is hovering in front of him protecting him from all the balls flying his way.  She is shouting with great determination, "Don't worry, honey, mommy is here!… I'll protect you".  It was completely comical and absolutely true of how I feel about my children. I want to dodge balls for them! Isn't it true that as parents we want to protect our child and rescue them from anything that might hurt them?!  And of course, we should have that desire.  That is part of our responsibility as parents.  But isn't it also true that there will be times when we can't be there right in time to save them?  Sadly, to a parent's heart, that is true, too.  Remember your little one's first fall… scraped knee… blood?   The first time they were really sick?  You just want to take it from them!  It is the most helpless feeling as a parent.  Seeing your child hurting or in pain is hard to bare. 
I feel like God is teaching me so much through that commercial… I could really go in many directions explaining what He revealed through that.  But what is on my heart now, is how it relates to my prayer for the verses I am teaching my child.   It is my prayer for her as we continue to learn what God's Word says that she will store up Truth in her heart so that one day, in the future, when she is walking through a season of trial and turmoil, trying to dodge all the balls flying her way (because we all go through those seasons) that she will find peace and refuge in Christ. 
I am really excited about this week's verse!  After professing last week our love for the Lord and learning that he hears us, I want to stay along the lines of love.  This weeks verse is 1 John 4:19:
"We love because he first loved us."
Left to ourselves, to our flesh, our love is so flawed…much of the time conditional… it really isn't love at all!  We choose to give it and we choose to take it away.  But, if you are a believer in Christ Jesus and the finished work of the cross that covers all our sin and shame… you have experienced LOVE!  Extravagant, sacrificial, perfect, unconditional, patient, forgiving, complete agape LOVE!  While we were sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).  Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. (John 15:12).  It is through, not only His example, but through HIM that we love.  Because He, God, is love.  (1 John 4:16b)  We love because we have experienced God's love for us and it compels us to share it with others, to love others, even when we don't want to or when it is hard… that is where we find our need for Christ and allow the Holy Spirit to love through us-when it is hard.
Along with teaching Nella this verse, I am also going to read in small sections and talk about the latter half of 1 John 4.  If you have decided to join me in my "Summer Resolution" to teach and memorize scripture with your children, I would love to hear from you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment