Wednesday, June 27, 2012

No Fear


I am obviously late posting our memory verse for the week!  It's been a busy start of the week and I'm just finding the time to sit down and share.  This week's verse really fell into my lap.  Last week, my daughter went to Vacation Bible School at my in-law's church.  On the last night, she brought home all of her crafts from the week.  They were so sweet!  After she went to bed that night, I placed them as centerpieces and decorations in our dining room.  The next morning she was so excited to see everything I had displayed.  She pointed at one of the crafts and nearly said the entire verse!  She jumbled up some words and forgot a few as well, so I decided this should be the next verse we work on.  

The verse is Joshua 1:9 (shortened and paraphrased for a little one).  

"Be strong. Do not be afraid.  God is with you."



This verse is actually very applicable to Nella.  Lately, she has expressed fear in certain situations… from petting farm animals, letting us let go of her in the pool, and going down the slide to refusing to get her shoes out of her closet because she thinks there is a monster.  We were truly perplexed about where she heard about monsters in the closet!  She blames it on her cousin… who denies it… it's been a hilarious conversation over Skype.  Very much like her mother, she "plays it safe".  In contrast, her daddy is a risk taker.  This difference has always seemed to balance my husband and me.  At times I am a voice of caution to him, while he is so great at helping me step out of my comfort zone when it really is best.  

We are working with Nella on this… and I really think I continually need work in this area, too.  We have to learn to control our thought life and think on TRUTH, trusting in the Lord and his presence in our life, relying on his strength and power that is made perfect in our weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).  I have struggled with this before and during those times have remembered Philippians 4:8-9:

" Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious- the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.  Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized.  Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies." (The Message)

My prayer is that we will not let fear or worry govern our thoughts and our life, but that we will rejoice, even in the middle of suffering and trials, because we have been set free from that bondage through Christ our Lord.  There is freedom in Christ.

1 comment:

  1. You always now how to say it!!! Love it. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete