Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Our Souvenirs


I found this entry that I wrote in early December 2011 and think it fits perfectly with the title of my blog.  I wrote it after a sweet and emotional date with my husband (and the kiddos-- not sure if that still makes it a date?) I had a hard day and Ken said I needed to get out of the house- who would argue with that?!  Because it was last minute and we didn't have a babysitter, we took Nella & Silas, too!  He knows me so well... It was a wonderful and much needed night!  On our way to dinner we were listening to a song by Switchfoot called, "Souvenirs" and related to it so well.  We talked about how this time in our life is passing swiftly and questioned if we were truly soaking up each precious moment.  Although our lack of space is a source of frustration sometimes, God always reminds us of how blessed we are… not in a material way because that is not lasting and has no eternal value, but blessed to know Christ and to have children, His children, that He has entrusted to us to share His love with and disciple.  And we resolved that we wouldn't trade this time for anything.


From the sight of first smiles that lead to endless giggles to tiny handprints smeared on the refrigerator, I am reminded of the presence of little ones in our home.  These sweet reminders bring us so much joy.  There are moments when a two bedroom home doesn't seem like it provides enough "space" for a growing family of four.  But, really, why would we need more space?  It would only mean that we would be spread further apart.  It would eliminate the need for sound machines (and there are many) and strategic maneuvers to avoid the creaks in the hardwoods while babies are sleeping.  It would mean that all the toys would be neatly organized, or at least contained in the playroom where we could shut the doors, leaving them out of sight and our "living room" uncluttered.  Really, what is the fun in that?  When I sit back and think about what the toys strung throughout the house and sound machines truly represent, I realize how much I love this season of life.  There is such a sweetness in knowing that all this represents life, growing life, in our home.  I am so thankful, thankful to the Lord, for my family and my home.  I know one day Ken and I will look back at our time in this house and remember the times of bringing home babies from the hospital, afternoons of us all playing and laughing together on our bed, cramming a Christmas tree into our living room/ toy room and we will wonder where all that time went.  We won't think about how small it was, but how it perfectly held us all and kept us close together in proximity and, especially, love.  I guess we will conclude that life was happening, just as it always is, all around us, not lasting forever.  And we will tuck all of those sweet memories in our hearts, our souvenirs.  

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful, Macie, and so true. I've been so blessed in being able to be a sahm. There is all the joy of being with your treasures all day every day, but there is the constant battle in keeping our eyes focused on the Lord. Just over the last couple of years has it occurred to me just how fleeting and precious time is. Thank you for sharing you life here. Oh, when I get frustrated with the clutter in my house, the Lord lovingly reminds me that life goes on here every day.

    ReplyDelete